Five steps parcel delivery, haulage and logistics companies can take to Get Ready for Brexit 

The UK will be leaving the EU on 31 October. This will bring important changes to doing business.   Here are five things parcel delivery and logistics companies can do now to get ready.

1 Prepare for new customs procedures at the border when trading with the EU

To continue importing from and exporting to the EU after 31 October there are changes you need to make now. Make sure you have an Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) number that starts with GB, it’s quick, easy and free to do on

For businesses that import there’s also the option of applying to make this easier with transitional simplified procedures (TSP). This streamlines the process and is ideal for those new to customs procedures.

Find step-by-step guides to importing and exporting, as well as more information at

2 Check if your customers can give you the right documents for trade with the EU

You may not be able to transport goods through the EU if your customers do not give you the right documents. For guidance and a checklist on what documents you may need visit and search ‘international road haulage checklist’.

3 Signpost the EU Settlement Scheme

 Employers can help their EU, European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss staff get the information they need to apply for status under the EU Settlement Scheme. This will enable them to secure their rights in the UK. Applicants have until at least 31 December 2020 to make an application.

Visit and search ‘EU Settlement Scheme Employer Toolkit’ for more information.

4 Driving in the EU

You will still need to carry your UK driving licence with you when you drive in the EU. You will also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU and EEA countries if we leave the EU without a deal.

You will still need a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification to drive a lorry professionally in the UK and other EU and EEA countries. If you work for an EU operator, you should swap your UK CPC for an EU CPC. Additionally, you will need to carry a motor insurance green card when driving in the EU and EEA if we leave without a deal.

For more information visit and search ‘lorry drivers after Brexit’.

5 Act now to continue legally receiving personal data from the EU/EEA after Brexit.

Check how you can legally continue to receive personal data such as names, addresses or payroll details from organisations in the EU or EEA after 31 October. You may need to update your contracts or take other steps. An example of a personal data transfer from an EU/EEA partner is a UK company that receives customer information from an EU/EEA company, such as names and addresses of customers, suppliers or partners to provide goods or services.

Find additional information at or visit the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) guidance at and search for ‘data protection and Brexit’.

 Further information

Speak with your lawyer and accountant or visit for tailored business information and to sign up for email updates.